About Me

My photo
I'm just a girl trying to figure out this crazy thing called life.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Inspiration


So, I guess I've been inspired. I'm often inspired, but too many times I write my thoughts and ideas down in a notebook and file them away. This time is different somehow. I've decided to create this blog to follow the development of a business idea/concept.
You see, I have a folder full of business ideas and plans. Some are more defined than others, but they just sit in their little compartment in the dark. I know it's a bit weird, but I know one day I'll find the right one that will work out. This oddity about myself is fairly well known in my work place. It's actually kind of a joke really. "Want to know how to start such-and-such business?" "Ask Allison."
So, when 4 fellow co-workers came to me with an idea of starting craft day at the office. I was into it. I wondered, "How can I turn this, something I enjoy, into a business?" I toyed around with the idea for several months. I did some market research on the Internet and looked at what the likely hood of a craft business was to be successful. I wanted to find other successful women or "momtrepreneurs"to pattern myself after. I searched for stories of other successful businesses- and found none. So, I crunched some numbers to see if the business was even feasible and then promptly filed the idea away in my folder.
Four months later the same 4 girls approached me with the idea of making some crafts and selling them as a fundraiser. Again, I was into it. Even did a little jig in the hallway. I was reading "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs and felt this was the right time to pursue this project. Thusly, I kicked in to Ali-drive and pushed full steam ahead, with the help of the 4 Squirrley Girls, our journey to starting a craft business began.



No comments:

Post a Comment